PDA

View Full Version : The Day After Tomorrow

D.C.
May 27th, 2004, 03:14 AM
This movie just opened worldwide today and I went and saw it at the cinema. Awesome movie. It's up there with Independence Day and Stargate. It's definately worth seeing. :)

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 29th, 2004, 06:36 AM
I saw it last night. I saw Stargate the Movie. This is no Stargate.

Loved certain aspects (SFX), got scared at some of the possibilities, but for the most part I got the feeling I had paid ten bucks(Canadian) to watch a made-for-tv movie on a big screen.

The dialogue was awful! The cloud mass and the science was awe-full!

There was only one threesome who held any poignancy, IMO. The scotsmen.

Stargate is still, IMV, the best filmed, directed, acted, written, etc, etc of Emmerich's movies. DAT comes in after Godzilla, in my opinion.

petzke_42
May 29th, 2004, 08:57 AM
There was only one threesome who held any poignancy, IMO.

Oh, but aren't they all?

shinyredpants
May 29th, 2004, 10:20 AM
i sooo want to see that movie

D.C.
May 29th, 2004, 03:38 PM
I've seen it twice. It's an awesome movie. :)

Elitenova
May 29th, 2004, 08:14 PM
I saw the movie, it's an awesome movie. I wish he makes ID4 2. It's exciting than a Gore boring speach.

TechnoBoY
May 30th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Seeing it today! Better be good!

SGSlugger
May 30th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Spoilers....

It was great effects-wise, but it had some plot holes.

I think that it had potential, but got lost somewhere.
For example: the temp was dropping 10 degrees a second, and those kids managed to get off the boat, and into the library. They should've been dead. Also, I'd like to know how the dad managed to WALK from Pennsylvania to New York City in like 1 day.
Something didn't seem right with their weather explinations, but I'm not a meteorologist so I wouldn't know.

Overall it was enjoyable.

I wonder if they will make a sequel? "The Day After Tomorrow's Tomorrow's" :p

TechnoBoY
May 30th, 2004, 04:23 PM
It was pretty good, really enjoyable fun flick. I thought it was kinda preachy though.

Spoilers:
And those astronauts saying "I've never seen the sky so clear", just pissed me off. Hello, like a billion people just died, who cares if the sky is clear.

Oh, and why did the president stay behind? Maybe they cut something that was supposed to explain why, something about his wife maybe? I would think he would be one of the first to go.

ShadowMaat
May 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Saw the movie this afternoon. Mostly 'cause I was bored and wanted to see the visual effects. SPOILERS below...

My suspension of disbelief was working just fine until the wolves attacked. LOL! I mean, the movie was already pretty hokey and ridiculous, but that was just WAY over the top.

Another gripe: The President is the last to leave?? No way in hell that would ever happen. If there's a critical situation, the Prez is the first to be evacuated... kicking and screaming if necessary.

Another gripe: The ambulance... and various other vehicles parading around New York. What? Did they have them all stored in really high buildings? Because the last time I checked, the city was under 30+ feet of water (a couple storeys, at least, whatever that equals). So how did these snowcats and ambulances and whatnot survive? Or were they supposed to be brought in from the mainland? Across icey frozen tundra chock full of bits and bobs of buildings, vehicles, freight vessels, submerged buildings and various detritus? And how, exactly, is an ambulance supposed to cross all that anyway? Maybe it had snow tires. ;)

Another gripe: The VP. He was a bit one-dimensional in his adament condemnation of everything to do with the cataclysm. Admittedly, I did think of Kinsey a bit, but at least Kinsey has personality and (if I remember rightly) backed off a bit when the evidence was staring him in the face. HOWEVER, given that as the VP's characterization, his sunshine-and-rainbows bit at the end came off as completely false. Anyone that obstinate isn't going to change. Ever.

Another gripe: I know the story centers in the US and on the guy trying to rescue his son (sww, how sweet!), but what about the rest of the world??! Hello, America isn't the only one suffering! But after the "introductory" carnage, all we get are some crashing helicopters (which was actually kind of a cool scene) and those poor sods in that Scottish research station. And speaking of the helicopters... I fully expected to find out they carried the Royals, since in the previous scene they'd just mentioned that the Royal Family was being choppered out. But obviously, that was just a coincidence. I would have liked to see some cataclysm in the rest of the world. A tornado that turns the Eiffle Tower into a giant twisted chunk of abstract art, a tsunami that washes over Rome and turns the Coliseum into a giant swimming pool (and later an ice rink). Something, anything to show that the rest of the world is suffering! Stupid American movie-maker arrogance.

Another gripe: The wolves, again. Why must every movie perpetrate the myth that wolves will attack human beings at every opportunity?? Jeez! Even after following the kids into the ship, once they were in the mess hall that should have been the end of it- they had food, it was close and plentiful and a lot easier to get than a bunch of large moving targets. *sigh* Poor wolves. How come they were the only ones to escape, anyway? And how come there was no massive rain of... er... guano when all the birds were flying overhead? ;) And personally, I think they should have shown the rats leaving in droves. That would have drawn attention. ;)

Another gripe: How come the dad and the other guy walk past the Statue of Liberty? I admit, my geographic knowledge of New York is a bit sketchy, but I would think that walking past it towards Manhattan would have been a bit off route for them. Shouldn't they have been approaching from a more southwestern direction, across New Jersey? Or am I all reversed in my head again? It just looked odd...

The funny thing is, I still kind of enjoyed it. I mean, the science was an absolute joke and the plotting and characterization were unimaginative, but the effects were pretty cool and it still managed to be entertaining... even if I was laughing in some of the wrong spots. ;)

It's a good waste of a few hours and a good reason to eat popcorn/nachos and the FX are certainly fun, but beyond that the movie has nothing to recommend it. At least not in my opinion. :D

ShadowMaat
May 30th, 2004, 09:45 PM
More thinking... and more spoilers, as if anyone really cared. ;)

The whole trek to NYC was ridiculous and convoluted and flat-out impossible under the circumstances and the timeline of events itself is highly suspect. They make a big deal out of the speed of the "killer storm system" and all, but then the gloss over it taking them days and days (and ONLY days) to hike from point A to point B... over a hostile frozen tundra full of unguessable obstacles... with only the scantest of supplies... and how the hell did the batteries in that PDA last so long? Or did he bring spares?

And how come everyone managed to look so clean and healthy after days and days (ha!) of living off random canned foods and candy bars and no shower facilities? Or toilets, for that matter...

Shipperahoy
May 31st, 2004, 10:04 AM
I went and saw it last night. Didn't love it didn't hate it. The first half was fairly good. Watching NYC demolished was chilling but, like Shadow, I found the trek to NY pointless and unrealisitc. What did he think he was going to do when he got there? It's not like he brought any supplies with him. He could have just waited and flown in with the helicopters. And it felt like there was really no ending. I have to say though that I LMAO at the scene where the people were charging the Mexico border and the Mexicans were turning them away. Ah, the irony.

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 10:11 AM
Stupid American movie-maker arrogance.
But... how does that work when the director is German? :p

Anubis
May 31st, 2004, 10:16 AM
The special effects in this film were great, and apparently very expensive. I'd recommed this film

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 10:20 AM
But... how does that work when the director is German? :p
Quit defeating me with your silly logic, Pig Boy! :P

If not Ameri-centric because of the director, then it's Ameri-centric because of the production house/distributor. Most American-made disaster movies feature America almost exclusively, no matter how world-wide the disaster may be. Just a couple of "establishing shots" of other places... if you're lucky. I want to see just how global something is. America isn't the only country to suffer, after all.

And yes, the Americans rushing the border scene was hysterical! ;)

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 10:44 AM
Quit defeating me with your silly logic, Pig Boy! :P
Never! :p

If not Ameri-centric because of the director, then it's Ameri-centric because of the production house/distributor.
Oh, come on. Why don't you just blame it on the writers? That's what you do, isn't it? Come on, you know you want to... :D

Production house... Pfff

Anubis
May 31st, 2004, 10:45 AM
If you look carefully a American punches some Mexican and runs across the border. And when the American's are cutting open the fences to get through. Good scene

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 11:00 AM
Never! :p
Better watch it or you'll be a STUCK Pig Boy! :P

Oh, come on. Why don't you just blame it on the writers? That's what you do, isn't it? Come on, you know you want to... :D
Definitely the writers... and everyone else, too. I'm happy to lay the blame on everyone in this case, including the actors for being stupid enough to take this assignment. Were they really that desperate for money?? ;)

brandohall
May 31st, 2004, 11:16 AM
Spoilers

*sigh* Poor wolves. How come they were the only ones to escape, anyway?

because if the zoo's collection of exotic squirrels had escaped, that sequence wouldn't have been half as interesting.

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 12:55 PM
because if the zoo's collection of exotic squirrels had escaped, that sequence wouldn't have been half as interesting.
You don't know much about squirrels, then. ;)

D.C.
May 31st, 2004, 11:17 PM
I figured the president stayed behind for his wife as well, but they didn't elaborate. I'll probably get this movie on DVD, but I also want to get Emmerich's other movies on DVD.

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 02:08 AM
I'll be purchasing this film on DVD also. Plus you get all the bonus features like interviews with the actors and behind the scenes

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 04:31 AM
I figured the president stayed behind for his wife as well, but they didn't elaborate. I'll probably get this movie on DVD, but I also want to get Emmerich's other movies on DVD.
It wouldn't matter. The First Lady isn't as high a priority as the President. She has her own security detail, she's on her own. I think that's supposed to be the basic sentiment. That and protect the President at all costs!

Ah well. It was just a little jarring. May be I've seen too many West Wing repeats. ;)

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 05:10 AM
Spoilers for The Day After Tomorrow;

The President died and the Vice President didn't seem too bothered, judging by his facial expressions. Besides who would use a helicopter in that sort of weather. It would have been safer to stay where he was and attempt to stay warm

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 05:35 AM
The President died and the Vice President didn't seem too bothered, judging by his facial expressions. Besides who would use a helicopter in that sort of weather. It would have been safer to stay where he was and attempt to stay warm
Why should he? It means HE'S now the Prez! And how come the VP was evacuated before the Prez, anyway?

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 06:17 AM
That's strange actually. It doesn't actually say but a interesting question. Maybe the President wanted to wait for something, perhaps his wife

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 07:26 AM
That's strange actually. It doesn't actually say but a interesting question. Maybe the President wanted to wait for something, perhaps his wife
If the First Lady is in another city, why have her come back to DC at all? Ship her direct to the refugee center. Making a pit stop in DC wastes valuable time and resources... and this is one case, I think, where the govt wouldn't be inclined to do that. ;)

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 08:07 AM
The scenes regarding the President were a big strange and complicated. Things that would never really happen

David
June 1st, 2004, 10:08 AM
a tsunami that washes over Rome and turns the Coliseum into a giant swimming pool (and later an ice rink).

The Roman Coliseum was destroyed last year in "The Core." A little redundant to neutralize it again :)

Still I would like to have seen some world-wide annihilation than just from orbit. Going back tomorrow to see if I can catch some.

David
June 1st, 2004, 10:11 AM
Better watch it or you'll be a STUCK Pig Boy! :P

Calm down, Shadow. As far as I'm concerned, we're even on the movie-scale, since you got Harry Potter 3 a week before the U.S. did. :S

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 10:49 AM
Harry Potter 3 had some good effects. I was actually shocked to learn that it only took four months to film. I remember, such as The Matrix Revolutions, it took four months just to create the perfect RAINDROP. How crazy is that?

David
June 1st, 2004, 10:53 AM
Theyr'e going really fast. Goblet of Fire is filming now, and Order of the Phoenix is, believe it or not, in pre-production.

Too bad J.K. can't release the series faster.

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Production is about two years ahread of original scheduel because this film took such little time to film. However, if you love the actors too much, don't get your hopes to high, apparently all three actors (Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint) are too be too old. The rumours says that Order of the Phoenix may be their last

elhSG1
June 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM
I thought "The Day Before Tomorrow" was a fun movie to watch. It had some great SFX, I especially liked the twisters in Los Angeles.

Oh and Harry Potter, I can't wait to see that, I think I'll be going this weekend to see it at the IMAX. :)

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM
IMAX theatres are just execellent. I watched The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions in there. The surrounding is great

elhSG1
June 1st, 2004, 11:22 AM
Cool, I've never seen a movie in an IMAX so I'm very excited. Do you have any advice on where to sit?

USS Thunderchild
June 1st, 2004, 11:42 AM
I liked the movie for what it was, basically because I accepted it as a 120 million dollar disaster flick. Personally, I didn't think the dialogue was as bad as people made it out to be, and the acting could've been a hell of a lot worse. The CGI was amazing, like in all Emmerich films. I especially liked the scene at the end with all the copters over manhattan.

About ID4 2 I read somewhere that Fox was already ready to give them a bunch of money to make it, but that Emmerich and co. couldn't think of a good way to make it, so they called it off.

Phil

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 01:26 PM
elhSG1, the best seats are in the middle for a complete surrounding of the movie. It makes you feel like you are actually in the scenes. Middle is best

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 01:51 PM
The Roman Coliseum was destroyed last year in "The Core." A little redundant to neutralize it again
Haven't seen it, wouldn't know. :P Besides, there are only a few mega-landmarks Americans are familiar with, so they get used a lot anyway. The Coliseum, Eiffle Tower, Big Ben and Stonehenge... And then American landmarks like the Hollywood sign, Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty.

Calm down, Shadow.
Ha! I'll calm down when Piggy does. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, we're even on the movie-scale, since you got Harry Potter 3 a week before the U.S. did. :S
Er... what? David, dear girl, the last time I checked, I was still living in the US. A small, strange and altogether backward little piece of it, but America all the same. :P

Ugly Pig
June 1st, 2004, 02:52 PM
Ha! I'll calm down when Piggy does. ;)
Feh... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen! :p

D.C.
June 1st, 2004, 04:02 PM
I like DVD extra features, but I'm not a fan of those special effect segments. I'm more interested in the writing and shooting of the movie and pre-production and production stuff. Usually the visual effects post-production stuff is boring and I think a movie like that would have a lot of that stuff on its DVD.

kaids
June 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM
And those astronauts saying "I've never seen the sky so clear", just pissed me off. Hello, like a billion people just died, who cares if the sky is clear.Looks like someone missed the deeper meaning, although I suppose that's understandable considering it was the only line in the whole film I can think of that had any depth.

Some people seem to be missing the point, this was never going to be a serious film. Endlessly picking holes in the plot etc... hello? The whole main concept of the film is completely flawed, did you not know this when you bought your ticket?

I loved the film for what it is, popcorn entertainment. Switch off the brain and enjoy the ride (super, haunting soundtrack too btw!).

Had to laugh at the evacuations of Belfast and Banbridge (BANBRIDGE!?!??!! LOL) though.

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 02:13 AM
I'm sure the DVD will be loaded with stuff since it cost a heap of money to produce and create visual effects for

D.C.
June 2nd, 2004, 07:57 AM
Yeah, but that's even more incentive to focus on the special effects, which I think is pretty boring. :)

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 08:26 AM
I think it depends on what effects are being show and what film it was from

dec55
June 3rd, 2004, 12:53 AM
Just a side note...the great Dean Devlin didn't write the script....as he did with Star Gate..and ID4......which seem very pro American...of which Dean is an American.

This movie as I have heard, paints a non flattering picture of the US.

D.C.
June 3rd, 2004, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't go that far, it does say some unflattering things about the government though, and I guress what people do when under pressure.

Tok'Ra Hostess
June 3rd, 2004, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=kaids]

Some people seem to be missing the point, this was never going to be a serious film.

It wasn't? It was-ent??? ;)

Ya see, I was hoping that it would be somewhat serious. When I want brain-in-the-off-position entertainment I go for comedy, like the Rundown(or as we like to call it, "Duane of Da Jungle"). I was hoping that DAT would show some respect for living, working brain cells.

Endlessly picking holes in the plot etc... hello? The whole main concept of the film is completely flawed, did you not know this when you bought your ticket?

What is so flawed about the main concept? It was a terrific concept with tons of potential; runaway warming from greenhouse gasses causes the polar ice to melt, causing a severe drop in temperature in the oceans, causing severe weather. That, to me, was the basic concept and was not so much flawed as the acting/dialogue was,... uh, idiotic. "/

SFX isn't everything. Emmerich and co. may be able to afford 10 million bucks (whatever the sum) to make a movie fit for viewing-with-the-brain-in-the-off-position, but I wish I hadn't spent ten of my bucks to see this disappointing film.

D.C.
June 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
Why did you see if you don't like Emmerich anyway? Pretty much all Emmerich's movies have the same sort of feel to them.

shinyredpants
June 4th, 2004, 09:58 PM
this movie was almost as boring as my oceanography class~~~!

to be honest, the class was taught by a paleo climatologist too...

Elwe Singollo
June 4th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I thought the movie was good in some parts. :)

MartoufMarty
June 4th, 2004, 11:38 PM
me and my sister saw it the second day it was out, and it was awesome. all movies have their flaws and plot holes. i didn't really notice them, and didn't really care. the special effects and meaningless destruction is what i spent $17.00 (canadaian... for both of us) to see. it was awesome, and Jake Gyllenhall (i can't speel worth a damn) is just so cute :D weather makes me nervous and this movie had me cringing in my seat, and going 'holy crap, and 'dude!'... and 'wow!' so awesome.

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 12:10 AM
me and my sister saw it the second day it was out, and it was awesome. all movies have their flaws and plot holes. i didn't really notice them, and didn't really care. the special effects and meaningless destruction is what i spent $17.00 (canadaian... for both of us) to see. it was awesome, and Jake Gyllenhall (i can't speel worth a damn) is just so cute :D weather makes me nervous and this movie had me cringing in my seat, and going 'holy crap, and 'dude!'... and 'wow!' so awesome.I know Canadian money is different from American money, but wow, 17:00 for an adult? (i'm assuming you are)... My ticket was about 5 dollars, but then again, i live in Japan...

petzke_42
June 5th, 2004, 12:49 AM
It was $17.00 (Canadian) for both...which is kinda cheap. Its about $15 American for two for a movie around here.

D.C.
June 5th, 2004, 01:32 AM
One student ticket is $10.30 here, so it would be around $21.00 for two students to see in in Australian dollers.

MartoufMarty
June 5th, 2004, 07:00 AM
I know Canadian money is different from American money, but wow, 17:00 for an adult? (i'm assuming you are)... My ticket was about 5 dollars, but then again, i live in Japan...
well, they don't have 'adult' 'child' and so on tickets. they're just $8.50 EACH. i paid for both of us. plus it's a roomy theater with comfy seats and good audio and all that... i think you get what you pay for lol.

$17.00 canadian is about... well, $12.59 american. and $15 american is $20.25 canadian.

Tok'Ra Hostess
June 7th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Why did you see if you don't like Emmerich anyway? Pretty much all Emmerich's movies have the same sort of feel to them.

Who said anything about not liking Emmerich? I have nothing but praise for Stargate, which, as well as being visually stunning, happened to be intelligently written(IMO).

IDDay was not too bad, once you got past the flag waving, and Godzilla was,... well, I was force-fed all the Japanese GZ movies/remakes(4 kids, Original GZ fans "/ ), and I certainly enjoyed Emmerich's version more than those.

DAT was certainly visually awesome; I just wish that the dialogue had done the visuals justice.

shinyredpants
June 8th, 2004, 06:16 AM
I saw the movie again, and honestly the second time around it got better *i love disaster movies, but it takes a while to like them* anyway, i think the best way to describe this movie *still* is "weather porn"

D.C.
October 5th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I bought The Day After Tomorrow Special Edition two disc DVD today. It's pretty cool. I haven't gotten around to watching most of the stuff, though.

greytop
October 5th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I bought The Day After Tomorrow Special Edition two disc DVD today. It's pretty cool. I haven't gotten around to watching most of the stuff, though.
How come everybody gets it before we do? The DVD, in the US, won't be out until next week, Oct. 12.

I like the movie which I saw it about 3 times.

D.C.
October 5th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I saw it twice. I don't know why it's being released later in the U.S. I know Dawn of the Dead is released in Australia next week and later in the month in the U.S.

AgentX
October 5th, 2004, 10:50 PM
And I don't even think its a two disc DVD in R1. I saw the movie thrice in theatres and will definitely be picking it up.

D.C.
October 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I wondered why DVD.ign.com didn't give the extra features on the DVD a high score even though there are plenty of them and they're good. I guess all the extra features aren't on the U.S. DVD. (Maybe you should consider importing it from another country if you want the extra features.)

AgentX
October 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
I don't have a Multi-region DVD player, and don't really feel a great need to make mine. I actually barely look at the extra features.

D.C.
October 6th, 2004, 07:28 PM
We got the one disc and two disc version in Australia. I think the one disc one is different to the U.S. one disc one as well. The two disc thing has 8 hours of extra features. (If you include the two audio commentaries. :))