No announcement yet.

Cold Lazarus (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What'? you can't honestly say that he did a good job. And the stories did pretty much stink. Very few are worth watching, unless you are a completely devoted Trekkie.

No offense meant to anyone. IMHO, the first series stank with the stench of Netu.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

And I'll back you up on that. Even my Mum would and she's the family Trekker(she originally got put off Trek by Kirk, it took a certain bald guy for Trek to redeem itself in her eyes). The films involving Kirk's crew are generally decent. Some of the books are good as well. But Trek TOS is only good for ripping the p out of.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

And I can't talk at all, having hardly seen any Star Trek (had you going, didn't I?). I like the basic premise, and I saw a few of the movies on a marathon--a marathon that I saw because I was home sick with a fever of 102. Consequently I don't remember much of it. I just defend Star Trek because...I'll get back to you on this one. Maybe 'cause it's a classic. I dunno.

Gee, this was pointless, wasn't it?

Comment

I liked that it was the first episode that (as far as the series goes) we learned more about Sarah & Charlie. And that the team, who’d only been together for a matter of months by this 6th episode (based on a dialogue line of Sam’s in the ep.) also were able to learn more about Jack’s private life since he’d kept very quiet about it. Even Daniel admitted to only knowing a wee bit about it at that point in the show.

Yep Zats… Sarah did remind me of Sam too, tinkering with her car, in her overall demeanor, and in general looks…
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I was watching this episode again today, and i noticed something that i had never noticed before. This was when Teal'c, sam and Danny are in the gate room and Teal'c shoots the crystal there with his staff weapon. The alarms go off and Teal'c exclaims, "You had permission for me to fire my staff weapon in the gate room?". Sam and Danny are all "Yeah, sure, uh, we did." I don't know why i never saw this before, but i just laughed so hard.
            ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
              What'? you can't honestly say that he did a good job. And the stories did pretty much stink. Very few are worth watching, unless you are a completely devoted Trekkie.

No offense meant to anyone. IMHO, the first series stank with the stench of Netu.
              The thing about classic Star Trek that you absolutely cannot forget, was that it was the first sf television show besides Twilight Zone that both took itself seriously as a quality show (at least for the first two seasons) and was written and produced by people who knew science fiction well and dared to handle current events in a serious fashion. They were a quantum leap above every previous sf television show (except the Twilight Zone). Yes, compared to today's shows it was campy, overacted, and often just plain bad (which could be said of most late-sixties tv shows). Their handling of morals and themes could be ham-handed (but still better than later Trek series' blandly-mouthed platitudes!). The sets and set design were oftem literally composed of articles pulled out of dumpsters of other shows and spray-painted to look 'alien' (though according to the aesthetic of its time, it looked cool). And the acting often ... had problems. But without it, sf tv as we know it would not be possible.

I'm not saying it was a great show by today's standards. Just that it was outstanding by the standards of its time, and paved the way for the shows I'd rather watch.
              My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
              -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
              -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
              -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

I'm just one of the newer generations, and maybe I could have taken the show. I've dealt with kinda bad storylines on TNG. It is just Kirk. I dislike him so much, it's almost un-Christian.
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I love TNG, grew up on it, and season 1 apart remains my favourite sci fi show..

Stargate is close though..

anyway back on topic.. anyone else notice that the effect they used as the energy coming from the crystal to turn into duplicate o'neill ( the first ) is the same as the one they use for the ascended.. maybe the crystals and the ascended are connected somehow..

Comment

Yeah, I noticed the 'glowy' thing looked kinda familiar.
                    I watched this ep yesterday. Was good seeing how little Sam knew about Jack and Daniel having to fill her in with the details.

Watched the Nox today, stupidly expecting Fire and Water (must've read the wrong ep number in Sky One's website. The descriptions are less than basic) I'd totally forgotten the extent of the Nox's Bed Heads.

It's hard, but I'm trying to catch as much of S1 as I can - some of it I've never seen (like F&W) and the contrast between S8 and S1 is...well, it's as it should be...it's different. Even Jack's hair...um...colour.

Can't believe how many times SG1 get injured in S1 compared to S6,7,8. Maybe it's not trendy for the writers to include it now.
                    Maybe it's just me.
                    Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge!

Comment

Another favourite. A beautifully crafted character study and very poignant. And Jack's response when he returns from the planet never fails to make me laugh. Especially the expression on his face when he's hauled bodily off the ramp by the SFs. LOL! And the scene with Teal'c, Sam and Daniel when they fire the staff weapon and the bewildered "So's yours" from Daniel, when Teal'c complains that Earth is a weird place.

There is something that always makes me wince though and that's the awkward, clumsy dialogue when Daniel fills Sam in on Jack's past and Charlie's death. It makes Sam look callous and uncaring. A kind of "Oh dear, how sad. Oh well, never mind, look a cool crystal!". And later, the same lack in the writing gives the same impression when she reports to Jack that she has a theory the alien might have gone to find Sara. I know that the fact that it's radioactive is important, but Sam adds in this fact like it's some kind of casual afterthought, with no real sense that she has any inkling this could be potentially dangerous for Sara and little sense of urgency. It's a weird little moment of delivery that always strikes a sour note for me.

And then there's that poor crystal! It tells them its energy is fading and that if it doesn't get back to its planet it will die - So, do they react immediately with concern and dash it back to the gate and home so it will live? Nope. They all collectively turn their backs on it, start discussing the revelations it's given them, and leave it there! Hey, folks, hello, dying alien life form sitting on the desk here!

But these little quibbles aside, this is one of the highlights of the season for me. A great episode.

Albion
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion

And then there's that poor crystal! It tells them its energy is fading and that if it doesn't get back to its planet it will die - So, do they react immediately with concern and dash it back to the gate and home so it will live? Nope. They all collectively turn their backs on it, start discussing the revelations it's given them, and leave it there! Hey, folks, hello, dying alien life form sitting on the desk here!

Albion
                        Good point.

Comment

Maybe they needed a new paperweight.

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
                            yeah but I wonder what about Sara she saw 2 Jack's and Charlie and knows about the stargate !!
                            There was obviously some time after where Jack talked to Sara that we didnt see.

My question is how did the jaffa move the crystals with out getting shocked and stuff. Also why did they leave one crystal unbroken. Its not like it was away from the others.

Comment

This ep _can_ be accussed of sappiness but I've always loved the fact that SG has been willing to wear its heart on its sleeve in a way that say...ooh, Voyager or some such could never pull off. We all hurt and we all have baggage -- SG1 is one of the few shows to remember this.
                              Script a little clunky and finding its feet at times sure, but anyone who has kids and doesn't get choked here has got to be harsh.
                              moving acting by RDA.

Comment

Originally posted by gone_fishin'
                                This ep _can_ be accussed of sappiness but I've always loved the fact that SG has been willing to wear its heart on its sleeve in a way that say...ooh, Voyager or some such could never pull off. We all hurt and we all have baggage -- SG1 is one of the few shows to remember this.
                                Script a little clunky and finding its feet at times sure, but anyone who has kids and doesn't get choked here has got to be harsh.
                                moving acting by RDA.
                                About the clunkiness of the script:

Most SF shows need a season or two to get their head on straight and figure out what they're doing. The first season or so, the writing is usually spotty, as is the acting, and sets and costumes tend to be on the cheesy side as everyone settles into their roles and figures out how to work together (TNG, SG-1, and DS9 are prime examples, as is B5 to a lesser extent). So I always give the first season or so of a new show some slack. This is first season, and fairly early first season at that.
                                My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                                -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                                -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                                -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Working...
                                X