• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperate Measures (511)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON FIVE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 511

Major Carter is kidnapped by a terminally ill man who intends to use a Goa'uld symbiote to save his life. O'Neill is forced to team up with an old foe to find her.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 11:54 PM.

This is a fantastic episode! Great O'Neill/Maybourne scenes and the brilliant John DeLancie is back as Col. Simmons.

Good ending too!

Why does it get such a low rating in the Fan Poll on the Episode guide? I can't believe someone wouldn't like this ep!
    'Ask an impertinent question and you are on your way to a pertinent answer.'

Jacob Bronowski

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Amazing
      This is a fantastic episode! Great O'Neill/Maybourne scenes and the brilliant John DeLancie is back as Col. Simmons.

Good ending too!

Why does it get such a low rating in the Fan Poll on the Episode guide? I can't believe someone wouldn't like this ep!
      I like it, too. Jack and Harry have such chemistry.
      Can't say I'm wild about John Delancie, though. I never liked him that much as Q. He does make an interesting villian, though.
      Slainte
      "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Stupid doctors. Stupid dying tycoons.

The purpose of Sam's abduction was so the bad guys could figure out how to rip a Goa'uld symbiote out of a human host. Since Sam was a former host, she'd have evidence of how such a procedure was done, right? Wrong, of course, since the symbiote that was within her died within her and was never extracted. Hence, Sam bore no trace nor any clue as to how to get a symbiote out of a person. Those eggheads learned so much about her experience with Jolinar, but they glossed over that one important point?

On another note, I kinda hated the Superwoman-esque "...she's strong. That dose was enough to knock out a man twice her size...". There's never been any indication that former Goa'uld infestation granted the once-host a greater resistance to disease or drugs. Her ability to remain semi-conscious after a large dose of sedative was both non-canonical as well as reinforcing the Wonder Woman syndrome that Sam is plagued with.

Jack and Harry save this episode. It's a flatliner without our Starsky and his Hutch in the mix.

Comment

>>Jack and Harry save this episode. It's a flatliner without our Starsky and his Hutch in the mix.

Agree. I like all of the Jack/Harry episodes, mostly because Jack really shines when you get him out of Daniel and Sam's shadows. I love the team together, but sometimes he gets a little too dumbed down.
          Fitness Buddies

Comment

There's never been any indication that former Goa'uld infestation granted the once-host a greater resistance to disease or drugs. Her ability to remain semi-conscious after a large dose of sedative was both non-canonical as well as reinforcing the Wonder Woman syndrome that Sam is plagued with.
            wasn't this episode supposed to be an indication of that? and also, there was a further (or should i say previous) indication to this. it was mentioned in season 2, "out of mind". i think it was something about having to keep her more heavily sedated because of the naquadah in her system.

i like this episode. it does have its flaws, but they can be easily overlooked. it had lots of jack. it had plenty of maybourne. it had john de lancie, whos characters i find to be as good as ronny cox's in the character you love to hate category. i find that when they play those kinds of roles, they play them better than most. they make great bad guys.

it had carter being both vulnerable and strong at the appropriate times. and i find that it possibly helped to dispell a lot of that super sam stuff that they seem to get pegged with.

solid episode. definitly very rewatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicarius
              I like all of the Jack/Harry episodes, mostly because Jack really shines when you get him out of Daniel and Sam's shadows. I love the team together, but sometimes he gets a little too dumbed down.
              I have to agree with this, Jack really does shine when he doesn't have to play the 'explain it to me' part for the benifit of the audience.

I really enjoy the Jack and Harry back and forth they are so great together.

Overall I thought this episode was solid, despite a few flaws.
              ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
              The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

stealing carter... BAAAAAAAAD!

Comment

I like how this character is continued.

Comment

My fav. bit on this is the tramp after sam gets kidnapped.

"Ninjas!"

OMG! LOL and inhaled my coffee, first time around.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                      wasn't this episode supposed to be an indication of that?
                      Then why did she go down when Foothold Frasier tranked her and the rest of SG-1 in "Foothold"? Furthermore, why was she still out while Teal'c was able to recover?

The resistance to drugs is strongly implied to be a result of the Goa'uld symbiote's active role in repairing/sustaining the body it lays host to. Jolinar was dead and therefore incapable to healing Sam from a drugging.

and also, there was a further (or should i say previous) indication to this. it was mentioned in season 2, "out of mind". i think it was something about having to keep her more heavily sedated because of the naquadah in her system.
                      The naq in the bloodstream was postulated to be the reason why Cassie was able to sense the presence of a symbiote in Sam in the episode "In the Line of Duty". By that same grace, the naq in Sam's system would be able to give her the ability to sense the presence of Goa'uld symbiotes in "Out of Mind", hence a good reason to keep her dosed and wonky.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rhydderch Hael]
                        Then why did she go down when Foothold Frasier tranked her and the rest of SG-1 in "Foothold"? Furthermore, why was she still out while Teal'c was able to recover?
                        I suspect that is because the Foothold alien, knowing Janet's thoughts, gave Sam a different dose than she gave the others - a Carter Special, if you will. By now I'm sure that Janet has fine-tuned Sam's needs - imagine having to operate on her after a severe injury. Also, Alien "Janet" personally injected Sam, whereas the other SG-1 members were handled by "nurses."

That Sam continues to benefit from certain Tok'Ra protection is further shown in Legacy, where Janet suspects that Sam's lack of Gate-induced headaches stems from her blending, and, of course, there's her immunity to Machello's devices.

Perhaps the Goa'uld protien marker simply activates or awakens certain thus-far untapped abilities naturally present in the human lymphatic system?
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Oh, this episode was quite good. I didn't expect it to be Conrad!
                          __

__

Comment

he shot Jack right? ... or was it Simmons.

Comment

I believe it was Simmons.

Comment

Working...
                              X