• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Sky (505)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON FIVE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 505

SG-1 discovers that their trip through the Stargate may have inadvertently doomed an entire civilization, and plead with the Asgard for assistance.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 11:42 PM.

I have mixed feelings about this episode. Anybody else?

I've got all the seasons on DVD, and this is one of the few shows I haven't gone back to watch again. On the one hand, I like that Carter screwed up and it was something they couldn't fix. On the other hand, I thought the implied maybe-God-saved them ending was pretty lame, mostly because it validates sitting on your butt, being obtuse, and doing nothing but praying as a solution. But then, I'm in the Nietzsche camp as far as religion goes.

I did like the scene where Jack loses his temper and almost kills that guy. Very human. Very intense.

Overall though, definitely not a favorite episode.
    Fitness Buddies

Comment

On the commentary Martin Wood said that he would have liked to see that the problem could not be fixed (however it actually was fixed in the end). I kind of like the idea and it would have been, IMHO a better ending for the story instead of this don't-know-whether-god-or-the-Asgard-saved-the-day ending.
      But except for the ending I liked this ep. I liked the look of the planet with the sun getting redder and redder.
      And Carter explaining physics with fruit, LOL

Comment

Haha... Yah, i wasn't sure at the end if they did or didn't, the 'redish' look to the town looked nice
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Generally I really enjoyed this ep. as much as i complain about it much of the time, I enjoy ambiguous endings. And I wish they could have left it unfixed as the vastly intellegent Mr. Wood originally wanted it to be.

But for the moment, I would just like to know how:
          1. if they bypassed a bunch of dialling protocols to get to the planet, how on earth does the unchanged, un-fiddled-with DHD dial earth again?
          2. wouldnt they cause the same problem or make it worse everytime they use the gate?

Comment

There's one thing that's been bugging me about this episode....

If Sam couldn't get a lock on the planet's Stargate in the first place why did she bother? I mean, surely a red flag would've gone up there? 'Hang on, I can't get a lock on this planet. Maybe there's a good reason for it?'

I don't know about you but I would've stopped trying and gone back to it later on!
            "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

I totally agree! lol Has to be one of her dumbest moments
              __

__

Comment

well, Dr. McKay in 48 hours pays her out for it, and gets her into trouble.
                however, as she says in the same ep. her job is to present the risks, not to decide to take them.
                thus, it's not really her fault - basically it comes down to General hammond, who would have made the ultimate decision to do the overrides.

Comment

I guess you're right. In the end, all the decisions are down to Hammond. But I think O'Neill has some say over quite a lot also
                  __

__

Comment

I thought it was an interesting episode.

Comment

The stupid protected planets treaty means nothing.

Comment

Hail to Freyer!

Comment

I got bored with this one. I've tried to watch it again a couple of times, but just can't get into it.
                          sigpic

Comment

I remember a great quote from jack... "Carter, am I having a stroke".

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                              I remember a great quote from jack... "Carter, am I having a stroke".
                              lol Does somebody know who fixed the sun Samantha Carter or the Asgard?maybe they helped but they wouldn't let them find out maybe a security risk???
                              Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                              X