• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shades of Grey (318)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON THREE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 318

O'Neill steals technology from the Tollan, and is forced to leave the Stargate program. Maybourne offers an intriguing proposal.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 February 2021, 10:14 PM.

I personally think that the NID's taking technology and/or reverse-enginnering would be a necessary evil in order to protect Earth. I don't think they should compromise other worlds, but being more...proactive about acquiring technology is a sound policy. We may not like it, but it might be our only hope.

Anyone else concur?
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
      Anyone else concur?
      Me!! ME!! MEEEEEE!

Not that I personally think it's a Good Thing. But I'm 99.9% certain that we would be doing that. In fact I'm 100% certain. It's a pity that we don't see more about those rogue teams. (apart from it would most probably mean more Harry, which is good in my book)

I loved Makepeace. I hate the way he went from apparent good egg, and good Colonel, to absolute rogue with no redeeming features in the blink of an eye. And what about the others? Death row?

That really is a waste of knowledge, IMO.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
        I loved Makepeace. I hate the way he went from apparent good egg, and good Colonel, to absolute rogue with no redeeming features in the blink of an eye. And what about the others? Death row?
        I think there was a real loss in not having Makepeace back at all. Having actually saved SG-1's collective hash a couple of times, he should have got more of a send-off than: "Ha ha, and now to the gas chamber with ye!"

Thinks: What happened to Makepeace given my fanfic premise that Maybourne got his team out of jail and offworld through the Russian Gate, then lost them?
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
          Thinks: What happened to Makepeace given my fanfic premise that Maybourne got his team out of jail and offworld through the Russian Gate, then lost them?
          I'm patiently waiting for you to tell me.

That is, if you do requests? If so, he deffo needs a girlfriend.

(even a small, woolley pink one)

ETA: thanks, btw, he looks great!
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
            I'm patiently waiting for you to tell me.

That is, if you do requests? If so, he deffo needs a girlfriend.

(even a small, woolley pink one)

ETA: thanks, btw, he looks great!
            I was just happy to find that the Clanger image I had on my machine was a) Major Clanger and b) in a scary pose!

Makepeace may turn up eventually - probably as a free agent, working with the remnants of the rogue team; a mercenary, but a more honourable one than Tobias - but for the moment RL is getting in the way of fic writing. Once I finish The Scourge I'm going back to my ninjas; then maybe a Nazis and monsters effort (modern day or SG-1's grandparents; could go either way).

After that there's just thirty odd SG-1 fics and another twenty-one for SG-7 and my lists are cleared for requests.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

IMO it was quite a good ep., but I think Maybourne would have been way too suspicious to have been taken in by O'Neill suddenly turning rogue. Nor would he have shown his hand so quickly.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                IMO it was quite a good ep., but I think Maybourne would have been way too suspicious to have been taken in by O'Neill suddenly turning rogue. Nor would he have shown his hand so quickly.
                I see where you're coming from, though I can also see how someone who didn't know Jack that well (I believe he and Maybourne only had a couple of run-ins by this point in the series) could mistake his mouthiness and sort of irreverence toward authority as synonymous with, ah shall we say, moral ambiguity. =) At the very least, we've all seen instances where Jack's found the rules chaffing.

As for showing his hand quickly, some things are limited by the length of the episode (for instance, I thought swiping that Asgard invisibility device was too quick and easy, too).
                Fitness Buddies

Comment

Hmm.. weren't the Asgard in on it all?
                  The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I have a question.

Don't those invisibility thingys violate the protected planets treaty?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      I have a question.

Don't those invisibility thingys violate the protected planets treaty?
                      I think it was deliberately planted there as part of their plan....
                      "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Was it ever stated that that planet was covered in the treaty? I can't quite recall if it was. But you'd think something like that would be a violation.
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          I think there was a real loss in not having Makepeace back at all. Having actually saved SG-1's collective hash a couple of times, he should have got more of a send-off than: "Ha ha, and now to the gas chamber with ye!"

I too have always thought "how bizzare" Makepeace is a hero at the beginning of season 3 and by the end he's a traitor!What the??

Comment

I just saw the episode and loved it.

As for the debate on whether we should be more agressive in acquiring technology, I think what the SGC did in this episode was correct. The Asgard, Tollen and Nox are all powerful allies and provided we had a strong enough allience with them they would be willing to help us defend ourselves if we were attacked. I would rather have this situation as opposed to some of their technology and these races distrusting and ignoring us. Even if we got the technology we might not even be able to use and understand it because it could be far too advanced. I say we steal all the Goauld technology but keep allies friendly because their help in certain situations is better than access to their technology.

I also think the Tollen are right about what we would do with any technology we acquired. Who is to say that if the US were threatend by China for example they wouldnt use alien technology. If the threat was big enough they would. The SGC may have good intentions but I dont trust a Government that would do anything to stay in power.

I think over time, as relations between these races grow stronger we will eventually gain their technology as we learn how it is to be used. E.g. not against each other but only as a last resort to protect ourselves from hostile invaders. However, humans seem destined to destroy each other and this doesnt look like changing anytime soon.

Comment

I like jack's quote "We don't need there stuff... but we do need them".

Comment

Working...
                              X