This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about the Bad Guys

OK, what about the Stargate Baddies? Some of them just keep coming back for more and more (Apophis springs to mind) and some of them seem to have vanished almost before they have arrived (er... well, moving on...)

So, who's your favourite baddie? Are they easily identifiable by their British accent, or does it go deeper than that?

And what about the Earth based "baddies"? Is Harry Mayborne really bad, or is he genuinely looking out for his planet using whatever means he has at his disposal?

Let's hear it then.

for the record: my favourite Goa'uld is Heru'ur. My favourite Earth based baddie is... see if you can guess.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

F
    O
    R

P
    A
    R
    A
    D
    I
    S
    E

L
    O
    S
    T
    I don't think your Earth-based baddie is on Earth anymore...

Comment

I'm hoping we see more of him in S8
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
        So, who's your favourite baddie? Are they easily identifiable by their British accent, or does it go deeper than that?
        It does go deeper than that because you forgot the baddies with the German accent... . As far as clichés go this one is just as popular in Hollywood and, as proven in the episode Resurrection, didn't make an exception with Stargate.

Comment

Aaaah yes. The ever popular evil Nazi bad guy cliche. Yup. Sounds familiar. But is has to be an evil Nazi SCIENTIST bad guy. And he/she has to be working on some sort of highly immoral human experimentation. It never fails. Need a really bad guy? Just make him a Nazi.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

We talked with that Nazi bad guy! Interviews>Brad Greenquist.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
              Aaaah yes. The ever popular evil Nazi bad guy cliche. Yup. Sounds familiar. But is has to be an evil Nazi SCIENTIST bad guy. And he/she has to be working on some sort of highly immoral human experimentation. It never fails. Need a really bad guy? Just make him a Nazi.
              So you think I should be proud that most of the time the German Nazi baddies are at least intelligent if powerhungry, maniacal scientists? *g*

Hm, never thought of it like that.

Comment

I vote for intelligence over the "Jackass" breed every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                  So you think I should be proud that most of the time the German Nazi baddies are at least intelligent if powerhungry, maniacal scientists? *g*

Hm, never thought of it like that.
                  Hey, well you've always got to look for that silver lining right?

Besides I think they console themselves with the fact that they're making them Nazi's. It's like they're trying to be really careful to say "it's not that they're German, they're Nazi's!". But I have a friend named Claudia who lives in Germany but she's dating a friend of mine so she's over here a lot and she said that she's suprised that Americans don't think that all Germans are Nazi's because that seems to be the only way that they're ever portrayed in American films. After that I tried to sit down and think of a film with a German hero in it or at least with a positive non-stereotypical German character in it and, honestly, I'm stumped. Maybe you know of one.

Comment

hmmm and French. Can't think of a French one either (Picard doesn't count, he's British really!).
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                      Hey, well you've always got to look for that silver lining right?

Besides I think they console themselves with the fact that they're making them Nazi's. It's like they're trying to be really careful to say "it's not that they're German, they're Nazi's!". But I have a friend named Claudia who lives in Germany but she's dating a friend of mine so she's over here a lot and she said that she's suprised that Americans don't think that all Germans are Nazi's because that seems to be the only way that they're ever portrayed in American films. After that I tried to sit down and think of a film with a German hero in it or at least with a positive non-stereotypical German character in it and, honestly, I'm stumped. Maybe you know of one.
                      Not in a Hollywood movie...

That's a very insightful observation there and exactly my point. Because IMO "it's not that they're German, they're Nazi's!" doesn't work that way, it works the complete other way around: Germans on TV are always Nazis, ergo all Germans must be Nazis.

That's the image Hollywood portrays far too often and it's dangerous. But luckily it shouldn't be a problem here since we're on a Stargate forum and all know who directed the Stargate movie...

::waits for other mods to compliment her on the nice move she made to get the thread back on topic::

Comment

David - I missed this before but just spotted it now. When you put in spoiler space you need to put in what it is for - preferably at the top - but more importantly which Season it is for too. Cheers :-)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                          ::waits for other mods to compliment her on the nice move she made to get the thread back on topic::
                          well done!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmmmm....on topic. Let's see. Well in response to MC's earlier query re: Maybourne, I don't see him as a bad guy at all anymore. I hated him the first 2 seasons but then he became kind of human in Foothold. And then then there was all that great Jack/Harry buddy cop type stuff in Chain Reaction and Desperate Measures and Paradise Lost. Now he's one of my favorite characters (not trying to take away from MC's obviously deep and abiding love for him) and I hope that they find a way to bring him back in season 8.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                              well done!
                              ::beams with pride::

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X